Internships at NewsChannel 9
NewsChannel 9 WSYR-TV accepts applications for our College Internship Program for the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.
Application deadlines are as follows:
Spring Semester: November 15
Summer Semester: April 1
Fall Semester: August 1
This is an unpaid position, requiring applicants to receive college credit for their internship. Students must have completed at least one year of college to be eligible for the program. A completed application must accompany any request for an internship.
Internship Program Application
This application should be filled out in consultation with your internship coordinator and/or faculty advisor.
Every effort will be made to place you in the internship of your choice.
Please submit your application online.
Along with filling out this form, please email a resume and cover letter to Internships@LocalSYR.com.
- Interns are introduced to every aspect of news operation, within a structured and supervised environment. Local news interns spend time in each department observing, learning, and participating. Those areas include the web producing, photography, editing, producing, reporting and production.
- During their rotation, interns work closely with reporters, assignment desk editors, photographers and producers. At the end of their rotation, interns are able to focus on their area of interest and continue to pursue their own individual goals.
- Schedule Requirement: flexible and varied, interns should be willing to work a variety of shifts in order to get the best experience.
NewsChannel 9’s News internship program is structured to introduce you to all aspects of television news production, by rotating you through the various divisions that make up the News department. However, we do offer specialized internships for students with prior experience or extreme interest in certain areas. The areas we offer specialized internships include:
- Web Producing
- News and Graphics Production
- Creative Services & Commercial Production
There are only a few openings for these specialized internships. They will be granted based on the applicants’s experience and newsroom staff availability.
Sales Intern help Sales Assistants and Account Executives in daily operation of sales department. Enthusiastic individual with a positive attitude and is a highly motivated self starter. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and be highly organized.
- Assist account executives on order coordination.
- Reconcile contracts daily.
- Create sales presentations, proposals, packages and “one-sheeters”.
- Assist in coordination of sales promotions: to include ordering, distributing and picking up point-of-purchase materials.
- Assist management team in maintaining media kits and all other sales tools.
Bridge Street Internship
“Bridge Street” is a one-hour talk and entertainment show, produced each weekday from 10-11am at the NewsChannel 9 studios and around Central New York.
“Bridge Street” is not a newscast. It is a local entertainment, information and lifestyle show with a lot of humor produced by the Programming Department. We maintain a fun but professional atmosphere. We expect our interns to work hard, have fun, learn a lot, and contribute good ideas.
Interns working on the show will learn about many aspects of live television production, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Guest relations - Greeting guests and working with them during their visit to the station.
- Generating story ideas and segment topics.
- Researching story subjects and guest background material.
- Assisting the show’s hosts as needed.
- Accompanying crews on remote shoots and live hits.
- Working with photographers and editors as they prepare video for segments.
- Working with show producers to facilitate production of the show.
- Helping to prepare cooking segments and cleaning up afterward.