Chef John’s Homemade Summer Salsa
- 6 roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic cloves (peeled & minced)
- 2 dried ancho chiles (de-seeded and cut as small as possible)
- 2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (minced)
- ¼ cup medium sized jalepeno peppers (de-seeded & minced)
- ½ cup medium sized yellow bell pepper (de-seeded & small diced)
- ½ cup red onion (peeled & small diced)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dark chili powder
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped & loosely packed)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (finely chopped & loosely packed)
- ¼ cup fresh scallions (finely chopped & loosely)
- salt and pepper to taste (at serving time)
Add all ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl except for the salt and pepper. Cover and let sit overnight (mixing a few times in between) in the refrigerator to marry all of the flavors. Add salt and pepper at the time of serving, to taste. You can also add any fruit that you would like to this base salsa to lighten it up. Perfectly diced pieces of golden pineapple work great. Serve this salsa with fresh fried/seasoned flour tortilla chips and enjoy!
Note: If you add the salt and pepper too early, it will pull all of the moisture out of the vegetables and make your salsa wet and runny while diluting the flavor.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.