With Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 airing back-to-back on Tuesdays this fall, the time seems ripe to have two of our favorite comedies cross over — a thought that isn't lost on the executive producers of both shows.
Apartment 23 creator Nahnatchka Kahn reveals to TVGuide.com that Happy Endings executive producer Jonathan Groff has actually pitched her an idea for a crossover — of sorts — that would take place at the end of a Happy Endings episode that involves James Van Der Beek, who plays himself on 23, and his old stomping grounds, Dawson's Creek.
"At the end of one of their episodes, they're watching Dawson's Creek and they're like, 'That was a good show. Whatever happened to that guy?' and they have some theories about what he's doing now and then they go right into our show and we see what James is doing," Khan teases of the pitch. "I would love it."
While we love the idea of that potential, but not-yet-official mini-crossover, it got us thinking about what crossovers we'd like to see on the series. Here are our top three ideas:
1. Max (Adam Pally) has a secret Dawson's Creek obsession. (He even has Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait" as his ringtone!) Upon hearing that The Beek lives in New York, he convinces the gang to go on vacation in the Big Apple where he'll pop up in the background of Apartment 23, always lurking behind James while trying to work up the nerve to approach him.
2. Although Penny (Casey Wilson) is not the same kind of b---- as Krysten Ritter's Chloe, we could see Ms. Hartz getting into an online argument with the Queen B of NYC over the fact that Alex's (Elisha Cutherbert) store no longer sells baby t-shirts. Seriously, Chloe was dying to get a "daddy's girl" shirt for June (Dreama Walker) — you know, because she hooked up with Chloe's dad.
3. Through a series of montages, Alex and James keep running into each other while he's on the Dancing with the Stars tour, so he decides to take her out on a date. His nemesis, Dean Cain, refuses to let James be happy, though, so he concocts a lie about the Beek (He's gay, to Max's excitement!) in order to steal Alex away. Sick of their petty rivalry, she ditches them both for Dave (Zachary Knighton).
Those are our ideas; now it's time to hear yours! Hit the comments with how you think Happy Endings and Apartment 23 could pull off a crossover.
Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 return Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 9/8c and 9:30/8:30c, respectively, on ABC.
View original Will There Be a Happy Endings and Apartment 23 Crossover? at TVGuide.com
Related Articles on TVGuide.com
- Apartment 23: Ben Lawson joins cast as love interest for Chloe
- Exclusive: Dawson's Creek reunion on Apartment 23! Busy Philipps to guest-star
- Megan Mullally's return and four more things we'd like to see on Happy Endings
Other Links From TVGuide.com