(BPT) - Spring is a season for dusting, washing and polishing the home, cleaning up the yard of any winter debris and even cleaning the storage on the computer or laptop. Spring also should be a time to clean up your health - adding small habits to your lifestyle that can result in big changes to your well-being.
From making simple changes to your oral care routine to finding a way to make exercise fun, the following small lifestyle changes are courtesy of Dr. Natalie Strand, the director of integrative medicine at Freedom Pain Hospital in Scottsdale, Ariz. She has worked closely with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, American Diabetes Association and dLife to promote exercise and healthy living among people living with diabetes.
* Relax, don't just rest - Stress is a huge contributor to poor health, but many people don't know how to manage it. People often mistake resting for relaxing, but it's not the same. Learn some stress-reducing techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation or meditation.
* Spruce up your mouth health - You're already brushing your teeth twice a day, so make the switch to using oral care products that do more than just protect, but can actually help improve the health of your mouth. The Colgate Total regimen consists of brushing with the Colgate 360° Total Advanced Floss-Tip Toothbrush using Colgate Total Advanced Toothpaste. Follow with Colgate Total Advanced Pro-Shield Mouthwash. In just two weeks, this regimen is proven to eliminate 15 times more bacteria than a non-bacterial control regimen, fights germs, fortifies enamel, and improves gum health. It's a simple change with a powerful impact.
* Make exercise fun - Spring is the perfect time of year to combine exercise with social activities. Be creative to get endorphins pumping and think of things to do with friends such as taking a salsa class, archery lessons, or an evening walk around the neighborhood.
* Get a spring tune-up - Doctor's appointments are important, but often pushed to the wayside. Make a list and schedule all your appointments at once: yearly check-ups, dental exams and cleanings, eye exams, etc.
* Get seasonal - Check out your local farmers market. Buy seasonal foods and try to incorporate them in your meals every day. Seasonal produce is more flavorful and densely packed with nutrients.
With these small changes to your lifestyle, you can easily upgrade your health for a better you. For more information on ways to spring clean your health and the Colgate Total regimen, visit www.ColgateTotal.com.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.