Pepper spray fumes send 2 Meachem Elementary School students to the hospital

The students were not injured but were sent to the hospital for evaluation

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) - Two students were sent to the hospital for an evaluation after a can of pepper spray accidentally went off on a Meachem Elementary School bus.

According to Sgt. Rick Helterline with the Syracuse Police, a child on the bus had a set of keys belonging to a parent in his backpack.

On that keychain was a small container of pepper spray. 

The keys fell onto the floor causing fumes of the pepper spray to leak into the air, Helterline said. 

Around 30 kids were on the bus. None were injured. 

No one was sprayed directly. 

The police department is reaching out to parents. 


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center