LocalSYR

Missouri middle school student allegedly burnt another with hand sanitizer

A student at a Missouri school learned the hard way just how flammable hand sanitizer is. It seems he wanted to try out a so-called “party prank” on an unsuspecting classmate.
Missouri (CNN/WSYR-TV) -- A student at a Missouri school learned the hard way just how flammable hand sanitizer is. It seems he wanted to try out a so-called “party prank” on an unsuspecting classmate.

There was some extra chatter as classes let out at Hocker Grove Middle School Friday about the potentially dangerous prank.

“It kind of got around as the day went on,” said Officer Bill Hisle with the Shawnee Police Department.

Inside the school before classes on Thursday the 12-year-old student allegedly hatched the plan.

“A 12-year-old student there filled his hand with hand sanitizer, took a lighter and set it on fire and then threw it on another student,” said School District Spokeswoman Leigh Anne Neal.

The kid said he heard about it from an older student as a party prank and videos like this are all over YouTube.

The 13-year-old victim suffered some minor burns to his face. The school nurse checked him out and he visited the family doctor, but was back in school by the end of the day.

Things are looking more serious for the accused attacker, who was booked at the Johnson County Juvenile Detention on aggravated battery charges. He’ll face disciplinary action from the school, as well.

“Having worked with students, you know sometimes they don't realize the implication or the serious nature or they'll make an impulsive choice,” Neal continued.

The district sent out a phone message to parents on Friday explaining what happened and asked them to talk to their kids about the dangers because like it or not, kids can see so much more now.

Page: [[$index + 1]]