ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) - As more and more New Yorkers turn to their smart phones to conduct their business, New York State is offering tips to use your device for various tax filing tasks online.
According to the Department of Taxation and Finance, nearly 800,000 taxpayers have visited their mobile site since the income tax filing season officially began on Jan. 23.
They say mobile traffic on the site has increased every year for the past three years.
Last year, 35 percent of its users accessed the site from a mobile device.
The state is offering the following tips:
• prepare your federal and state return (for free if your income is $64,000 or less);
• request for an extension of time to file;
• quickly check the status of your refund;
• sign up for email alerts about your refund; and
• access all of the helpful information available at www.tax.ny.gov.
You can also check on the status of your refund at any time by clicking on the Check your Refund tool.
If you don’t have a phone or a computer, the tax department also has a refund status phone line you can use: (518) 457-5149.
If you own dividend paying stocks - or dividend mutual funds last…
A Syracuse University led project is looking at the impact of a small…
Tuition is going up again for Syracuse University students.