LocalSYR

House fire causes extensive damage, displaces family of four

A family of four is homeless after a fire tore through their Scotch Hill Road home Friday afternoon.
Marcellus (WSYR-TV) -- A family of four is homeless after a fire tore through their Scotch Hill Road home Friday afternoon.

Fire crews responded to the scene just before 6 p.m. and were greeted to heavy smoke and fire coming from the first floor.

Jean Kelsey was on her way home when she saw the fire herself. Several fire departments were on the scene and in that moment she decided to pull over.

“I was driving home and I saw a lot of smoke coming out of the house and a young boy with his dog standing on the street. I asked him if he needed help and he said yes, it was his house. I helped him by putting the dog in my car while he was trying to get everything together,” Kelsey said.

No one was hurt in the fire that officials say started in the kitchen and quickly spread through the first floor of the home.

Fire officials say at one point the fire was so intense, firefighters had to evacuate the home.

“They hadn’t gotten the full ventilation yet. We had a lot of fire in the attic space. We wanted to make sure we kept everybody safe so we pulled everybody back, went to an exterior defensive attack and knocked the fire down before we went inside to make sure it was safe for the firefighters to operate,”

No word yet on a possible cause. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Page: [[$index + 1]]