NewsChannel 9 WSYR-TV accepts applications for our College Internship Program for the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.
Application deadlines are as follows:
Spring Semester: November 15
Summer Semester: April 1
Fall Semester: August 1
This is an unpaid position, requiring applicants to receive college credit for their internship. Students must have completed at least one year of college to be eligible for the program. A complete application must accompany any request for an internship.
Internship Program Application
This application should be filled out in consultation with your internship coordinator and/or faculty advisor.
Every effort will be made to place you in the internship of your choice.
Interns are introduced to every aspect of the news operation, within a structured and supervised environment. Local news interns spend time in each area observing, learning, and participating.
– Web producing
Production interns will be exposed to all aspects of live show execution. Roles within the department include live audio mixing, creating graphics, studio camera operation, teleprompter, studio set up, technical directing and directing. The department is responsible for the live production of all shows: the daily newscasts and Bridge Street, as well as special programming including the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade, New York State Fair and Carrie Lazarus’s Extraordinary Live!
- Interns in Sales will spend time with Account Executives and Sales Assistants, learning the daily operation of the department. Applicants should be enthusiastic and highly motivated self-starters with a positive attitude. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and be highly organized. Sales interns will:
- – Assist account executives on order coordination
- – Reconcile contracts daily
- – Create sales presentations, proposals, packages and “one-sheeters”
- – Assist in coordination of sales promotions to include ordering, distributing and picking up point-of-purchase materials.
- – Assist management team in maintaining media kits and all other sales tools
Bridge Street Internship
“Bridge Street” is produced live each weekday from 10-11am. It is a local entertainment, information and lifestyle show with a lot of humor.
Interns working on the show are expected to work hard, have fun, learn a lot and contribute good ideas. They will learn about many aspects of live television, including:
– Guest relations – greeting guests and working with them during their visit to the station.
– Generating story ideas and segment topics.
– Researching story subjects and guest background material.
– Assisting the show’s hosts as needed.
– Accompanying crews on remote shoots and live hits.
– Working with photographers and editors to prepare video for segments.
– Working with the show producers to facilitate production of the show.
– Helping to prepare cooking segments and cleaning up afterward.
Internship Application Form
Along with filling out this form, please email a resume and cover letter to Internships@LocalSYR.com.