The search is on for the best burger in all of New York State, as the New York Beef Council once again holds their annual Best New York Burger contest.
“This year, we’re launching it once more to bring eyeballs to the restaurants and awesome burgers!” says Executive Director Jean O’Toole.
Through April 9, people can nominate their favorite burger online (click here). The only requirement is that the burger must be made of either beef or veal. The ten burgers with the most nominations will move to the next round.
“You get to vote in a few weeks to whittle it down to the final four and those final four will actually have a cook-off in May, because May is actually burger month” adds O’Toole.
O’Toole shared a recipe for a Veal Bacon Burger on Bridge Street. Here it is:
- 1 lb ground veal
- 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup crushed sour cream & onion potato chips
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 burger buns of choice
- Lettuce, tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 Tablespoon sundried tomato paste/puree
- 1 Tablespoon Basil Pesto Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Combine mayonnaise, sundried tomato paste, pesto and mustard in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine ground veal, bacon, potato chips, egg, garlic in a large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Place patties on grill over medium heat. Grill, uncovered, 10-12 minutes to medium doneness (160 degrees).
- Line bottom of buns with lettuce and tomato, top with burgers, spoon sauce ever burgers, top burger with bun and serve!