September 17th is national dumpling day and Steve Infanti attempted to serve up the sweet treat that so many know and love. Enjoy the recipe below.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 small to medium apples, peeled and cored
- Preheat oven to 375°. For syrup, place 1 cup sugar, water, 3 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 21×14-in. rectangle; cut into 6 squares. Place an apple on each square. Fill center of each with 4 teaspoons sugar mixture and 1/2 teaspoon butter. Moisten edges of crust with water; bring up corners over apples, pinching edges to seal. Place in an ungreased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Pour syrup around apples. Bake until golden brown and apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve warm.