CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) – Mamadi Diakite made a short, go-ahead jumper with 37 seconds left and Jay Huff blocked Vernon Carey Jr. under the basket with 3.7 seconds left and Virginia ended a three-game home losing streak against No. 7 Duke with a 52-50 victory.
Huff led Virginia with 15 points, nine rebounds and 10 blocked shots, none bigger than when he rejected Carey’s attempt from in close with the Cavaliers leading 51-50.
Huff also ripped the ball away, was fouled and made one of two free throws at the other end.
Tre Jones tried an off-balance 3-pointer at the buzzer, but missed, allowing the surging Cavaliers to claim their sixth victory in a row and leap-frog the Blue Devils into third place in the ACC standings with a week left in the season.
Carey had 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Blue Devils.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- Syracuse University chancellor tells CNN a majority of faculty and staff have been vaccinated
- Railroad arms malfunctioning in Camillus
- WATCH: Cooler with some welcomed rain tonight
- Local pageant girl raising awareness for National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- The ‘Great Reshuffling’? 11 percent of Americans say they moved in 2020, survey finds