Finding local ingredients can be a challenge at this time of year in Central New York. Dèfi chef, Cody Dedischew shows us how to cook a delicious pot roast with locally-sourced ingredients using root vegetables, beef and locally-produced wine from the Finger Lakes. Chef Dedischew uses beef that is 100% grass fed. Cows aren’t meant to eat grains and the difference is in the taste. But because grass-fed beef can be tougher than others a slow braising process, like the one used to make this pot roast will help to break down the meat and tenderize it.
Sirloin Pot Roast
Prep Time: 40 minutes Cook Time: 6 hours
- Sirloin Roast, rolled and tied (5 parts)
- Carrots, medium diced (1 part)
- Celery, medium diced (1 part)
- White onion, medium diced (2 parts)
- Fresh Thyme, 12 sprigs
- Red Wine, 1 bottle
- Butter (1/2 part)
- All Purpose Flour, 6 oz.
- Beef Stock, 32 oz.
- Tomato Paste, 4 oz.
- Worcestershire Sause, 2 oz.
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Fresh Ground Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil, 4 oz.
- Heat a large heavy bottom sauté pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Chef Dedischew says a cast iron dutch oven does best for this recipe because it will hold the heat.
- Season roast liberally with salt and pepper, add ½ the oil to the pan and sear the meat on all sides to golden brown.
- Move meat to a roasting pot or dutch oven with a tight fitting lid.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt, next add vegetables and sauté for 5-10 minutes until they begin to color on the edges.
- Sprinkle the flour and stir it well. Pour the vegetable and flour mix into the pot with the meat and deglaze the sauté pan with ¼ of the red wine.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, place on stove and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Place in a 225*F oven and bake for 4-6 hours or until tender.
- Served with roasted vegetables of your choice and the jus from the pot.
Chef Dedischew also has a great soup recipe using the pot roast!
Sirloin Pot Roast Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Pot Roast ½ each
- Potato, Medium Dice 2 each
- Carrot, Medium Dice 3 each
- Turnip, Medium Dice 1 each
- Celery root, peeled, medium dice 1 each
- Beef stock 32 oz.
- Onion, Medium Dice 1 each
- Garlic, mince 2 TBSP
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil 2 oz.
- Dice remaining beef from pot roast
- In a large pot, sauté with oil, carrots, onion and garlic
- After 2-3 minutes, add beef stock and remaining liquid from the roast and bring to simmer
- Add remaining vegetables and cook until tender
Dèfi Cuisine is located at 208 West Water Street in Syracuse. You can visit them online at DefiCuisineCorp.com