You may not celebrate the Summer Solstice every year, but a few Central New York musicians have given you a reason to reconsider. Make Music Day is an international event that is being celebrated at a local level throughout downtown Syracuse this Thursday, June 21st.
Make Music Day is a one day music event that originated in France in 1982 and has now spread to 800 cities spanning 120 countries. It is a worldwide celebration of music and is meant to honor all of the ways people can make music. Rather than focus on large-scale performances, organizers Kevin Dean and Michael John Heagerty have set up over 30 performers in various locations and times across CNY.
Dean and Heagerty said the mission of Make Music Day is to share the unifying power of music. The goal is to bring musicians to the streets of Syracuse to celebrate music and share the experience with the downtown community. They then hope to inspire others to make music a part of their daily lives.
From adolescent drummers to small groups, the event will have something for everyone to enjoy. You can also participate as a performer yourself by signing up on the Make Music Day’s website. Heagerty said participants can expect a diverse group of performers, also encouraging anyone to come out and perform. “If you’re a musician and you’re seeing this…on Thursday definitely come through because we’re offering a day of making music and that’s what it’s really all about,” he said.
The event is free and not for profit in the spirit of the day. All abilities and ages are invited to take part in on Thursday. Visitors are encouraged to participate in the performances rather than think of them as concerts.
Performances already planned for Thursday, June 21st from 11:00am-4:00pm can be seen at the following locations:
- Wildflower, W. Jefferson St.
- The MOST, W. Jefferson St.
- Armory Square, S. Franklin & W. Fayette St.
- Perseverance Park, S. Salina & W. Fayette St.
- Hanover Square, E. Water St.
- M. Lemp Park, E. Fayette & Warren St.
- Columbus Circle, E. Jefferson & Montgomery St.
- Hotel Syracuse, S. Warren St.
- Creekwalk Kubal, Franklin & W. Water St.
The following events are also planned in the evening:
- 6:00PM Wildflowers Armory Square – Summer Drummers Jam, students entering 7th grade – 12th grade will be playing outdoors at 225 W Jefferson St, Syracuse, The Gateway to Armory Square
- 6:00-8:00PM Overpass Fest – Make Music Day will continue through the weekly music and arts walk on the Onondaga Creekwalk
If you are interested in going to this event or learning more about how you can set up your own performance, contact email@example.com or check out their Facebook page.