Car lovers show off their cars: Tell Me Something Good

Tell Me Something Good

CLAY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Kevin Hallock never liked to leave his ’75 Chevy Nova out in the elements. 

“So I put it away for the winter. Winter turned out to be 23 years,” Hallock said.

The Syracuse Nationals convinced him to pull it out after all those years and get it going. And he’s always ready to talk about it. It came almost new from a co-worker whose wife decided it wasn’t a great taxi for her girlfriends.   

Hallock said, “He bought it so his wife could take her Bridge Club members to Bridge Club. But it’s a two-door and the ladies would get in the back seat and it was like strangulation city. You have to pull the seat up, you have to pull the seat belt down, put the people in.”

People from 34 states and six Canadian provinces came to last year’s Nationals. But a lot of them who drove through the gates at the State Fairgrounds are from right here in Central New York. And they’re looking to show off their cars all summer long.

There’s someplace to do that somewhere in Central New York nearly every night of the week. On Wednesdays, hundreds of cars stream into the Cruz-In at Three Rivers Point in Clay.  

Elaine Klocek loved the body style of her ’67 Plymouth Belvedere as soon as she saw it at the Nationals two years ago. She’s worked hard to get the exterior just the way she wants it. And she’s managed to keep her costs down.  

“If you want to put $100,000 into a car, yeah, you can do it. You can take it out, you can take it all apart, every little piece. Every little chrome thingy and have it redone. Yeah, you can do it. Cost you a fortune. I haven’t done that. I haven’t done that. Yet,” Klocek said.

Everyone has a story about where their passion comes from. Ali Albright traces her to her Dad, who taught Auto Mechanics when she was younger, and wore a scent that always made her smile.

“Until I went in the garage one day and it smelled like him and I said ‘who’s wearing cologne,’ and the guy said, ‘Oh, that’s degreaser.’  ha ha,” Albright said.

They’re all looking forward to the Syracuse Nationals, coming up next weekend at the State Fairgrounds.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area