Creole Soul Cafe: Tell Me Something Good

Tell Me Something Good

EAST SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — “Anyone can throw something together from a recipe.  But if you don’t have that passion for it, that love for it, you’re missing something,” Darren Chavis said.

And Chavis isn’t missing a thing. Over the last few years, he’s moved his Creole Soul Cafe from downtown Syracuse to Shoppingtown to North Syracuse, with stops at the State Fair and pop-ups at breweries around Central New York. Every stop drew passionate fans for his authentic New Orleans cooking. But none really worked.  None was home, until now.

Chavis said, “I was getting ten, fifteen calls daily for nine months, like ‘When are you guys going to open again.  I got a spot for you to go look at.’ You know, they were really pressuring and really, they missed it.”

Chavis spent most of the summer turning a rundown pizza parlor along Route 290 in East Syracuse into something the community could really be proud of. His own little corner of the French Quarter.

“I drove past this place at least 100 times. Never stood out to me. Then one time, It was, I was led here by the Lord, I should say. Because it was standing out like a beacon,” Chavis said.

Chavis came to Central New York when he was five. But his entire extended family is still back home in Louisiana, in the restaurant business. His professional training is in construction and design. But his heart is in hospitality.

“The N’Awlins friendly spirit.  As soon as you hit the door, you feel it.  You know. You get that love,” Chavis said.

So the first thing you’re gonna taste is a nice sweet, which is brown sugar. Then, you’re going to have an explosion of flavors in your mouth.  

Chavis said, “It’s very relaxing for me.  It’s like breathing. But the biggest thing is I cook with love and soul and I always want people to experience that. The food speaks for itself.  You try me once, you definitely coming back.”

More from NewsChannel 9:

For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area