Tell Me Something Good: Ways to help others during coronavirus pandemic

Tell Me Something Good

(WSYR-TV) — In this week’s “Tell Me Something Good,” Tim Fox posed this question:  It’s human nature for Americans to want to come together to help in a crisis, but what happens when we can’t come together? 

The president of the United Way of Central New York, Nan Eaton, has some great ideas.

Giving blood is one way to help. The American Red Cross is open for business, even though many of its regular blood drive locations — malls, schools, colleges, churches — have all temporarily closed.

You can find out how to donate blood, safely and easily, at RedCrossBlood.org or 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

Volunteer CNY is a United Way initiative. And for the next few weeks, the focus will be on helping the community during the Coronavirus crisis. 

If you’ve already registered to volunteer, please be patient. They have your name, and are waiting for the right project to pair your skills with the community needs… all with social distancing in mind. The web address is VolunteerCNY.org.

And finally, be a good neighbor. It’s not recommended that you visit older relatives and neighbors for fear of spreading disease. But there are still ways to stay close. 

Give them a call…  Let them chat… Ask about their lives, their childhood, their family tree. Ask if you can pick up anything for them at the grocery store or pharmacy, then leave it outside their door. 

And if you’re tech-savvy, offer to set up a Facebook page for them, or order a meal on-line for them from one of the local restaurants that are open for take-out or delivery.  That would help not only them but those local businesses trying to keep their doors open under challenging circumstances.

Most of all, be safe!

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Live case map

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area