(WSYR-TV) — Facebook is joining the fight against coronavirus by working with researchers to use its data to slow the pandemic.
Facebook is able to analyze collected data on population movement while they are connected.
This can bring insight into the effectiveness of lockdown measures. The data shows patterns at a city or county level that can be useful to public health.
Google unveiled a similar offering to fight the pandemic last week.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Military plane conducts touch and go exercises at airport
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee
- Independent consultant to review evidence in Wisconsin police shooting of Jacob Blake
- Positives and negatives from Bills defense against Dolphins
- Study: Manufacturing leads economic recovery in border region
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.