SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The U.S. Labor Department released its weekly report on the number of people who filed their initial claims for unemployment insurance.
During the week ending on August 1, the department reports declines in both the national number and the number of new claims here in New York. That’s the good news.
The bad news is that the numbers are still higher than at anytime in recent memory. We’ve put together some charts that tell the story.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Congress scrambles to avoid government shutdown
- Justice Department investigating ‘bribery-for-pardon scheme’
- Governor Cuomo outlines challenges with vaccine distribution
- US panel votes in favor to provide healthcare personnel and long-term care residents first COVID-19 vaccine shots
- Bipartisan lawmakers push $908B pandemic relief bill
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9