(WSYR-TV) — The coronavirus has caused President Donald Trump to delay the Real ID deadline.
The ID law would require travelers to carry an enhanced license by October 1 to board a domestic flight.
The president has moved the deadline to follow social distancing guidelines and avoid crowding at state DMV offices.
Lawmakers and governors had been pushing for a delay, as many states were having trouble processing requests during the outbreak.
New York State already closed DMV offices as a result of the pandemic.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Perspective helps F-M grad Ashley Twichell through Olympic uncertainty, looks forward to 2021
- Instacart workers plan to strike amid growing coronavirus crisis
- Beware of scams related to stimulus checks
- WATCH: Areas of drizzle, showers and patchy fog this evening
- FDA clears test to detect coronavirus in 5 minutes
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.