(WSYR-TV) — Some auto insurance companies are giving money back to their customers because people are driving less during the pandemic.
Allstate officials said it will refund about 15 percent of premiums paid by customers in April and May, for a total of $600 million.
American Family Insurance officials said the company will give back about $50 per car, which comes to a total of $200 million overall.
Both insurance companies said they are expanding coverage for customers who use their own vehicles to deliver food and medicine during the COVID-19 pandemic.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Bills LB Tyrel Dodson has strong first NFL start filling in for Tremaine Edmunds
- BOX SCORE: Giants 13, Bears 17; Saquon Barkley feared to have torn ACL
- Syracuse: Potentially the driest September on record
- Two Bills rookies score their first NFL touchdowns in win over Miami
- Syracuse University residence floor in quarantine after new cases of COVID-19
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.