TOKYO (WSYR-TV) — The 2020 Summer Olympic Games are still scheduled to take place in Tokyo, despite the coronavirus outbreak in Asia.
Olympic organizers confirmed that there are no plans to cancel the games, which will take place between July 24 and August 9.
Organizers are working to take all necessary precautions for both athletes and visitors.
So far, the virus has killed more than 1,300 people and infected upwards of 60,000 worldwide.
The vast majority of those cases have been reported in mainland China.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Daily Pledge: Fremont Elementary School, 5th Grade, Ms. Polak – February 19th
- WATCH: Two rounds of lake effect snow will impact CNY Wednesday and Thursday
- OCC men and women close out regular season with a pair of wins
- CBA/JD opens the Section III postseason with win over Cazenovia
- F-M product Anthony Angello scores first NHL goal with the Pittsburgh Penguins
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9