NEW YORK CITY (WSYR-TV) — The hospital ship docked in New York City to help deal with hospital overcrowding will start taking patients with COVID-19.
The military announced on Monday night that the USNS Comfort will take on the patients — only filling to half capacity to allow for proper separation — and to ensure the safety of patients and crew.
This comes after a request from Gov. Andrew Cuomo to open up for COVID-19 patients.
Prior to Monday, the Comfort had been treating non-coronavirus patients from New York hospitals.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Kentucky governor calls for release of Breonna Taylor evidence
- Josh Allen still doesn’t care about Jalen Ramsey’s ‘trash’ comments
- WATCH: Warm for CNY Thursday, showers for some
- COVID-19 testing options limited in rural parts of Central New York
- Business owner says all tenants of Shoppingtown Mall must vacate within 30 days
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.