NEW YORK CITY (WSYR-TV) — The hospital ship docked in New York City to help deal with hospital overcrowding will start taking patients with COVID-19.
The military announced on Monday night that the USNS Comfort will take on the patients — only filling to half capacity to allow for proper separation — and to ensure the safety of patients and crew.
This comes after a request from Gov. Andrew Cuomo to open up for COVID-19 patients.
Prior to Monday, the Comfort had been treating non-coronavirus patients from New York hospitals.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Hazy, hot, and humid, could hit 90 for the first time this year
- Syracuse Police respond to reported shooting on city’s south side
- Challenging record heat next two days in CNY
- 911 dispatchers: 3 injured after crash on Route 176 in Cayuga County
- Highlights from Home 5-25-20
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.