ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) –The number of positive coronavirus cases in New York State has risen slightly to 142 total. Of those positive cases, only eight are hospitalized.
New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Monday a new way for New York State to combat the coronavirus: New York State hand sanitizer. The Governor says the state will be able to produce 100,000 gallons of the hand sanitizer a week, and it will go to government agencies, schools, and prisons. Cuomo said New Rochelle will be one of the areas to receive the hand sanitizer first.
The Governor also said the State Corrections Department’s CorCraft brand name is now producing the hand sanitizer, which will be provided to municipalities and other entities as needed. He again stressed that the biggest risk of COVID-19 is for senior citizens with compromised immune systems, adding that fear and hysteria continue to outpace the reality.
Click the player below to watch the entire press conference:
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Juarez surpasses 2019 homicide totals despite lockdowns, pandemic
- Trump’s weakening of century-old bird preservation act worries South Texas environmentalists
- COVID-19 hospitalizations in US soar to new daily record
- Work on new border wall on hold while agency reviews water district’s concerns
- Camillus Police investigating hit and run, looking for dark-colored sedan
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9