(WSYR-TV) — 20 years ago on Wednesday armed immigration agents entered a Miami home in a dramatic pre-dawn raid to seize Elian Gonzalez, the young Cuban boy at the center of a custody dispute.
The dispute was between relatives in Miami and Elian’s father after he was found drifting in a raft.
He had fled Cuba with his mother, but she died at sea.
After the raid, Elian was reunited with his father at Andrew Air Force Base and the two returned to Cuba.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- DeWitt boil water order lifted for some residents, remains in effect for others
- Giants to face back up QB Mullens; Garappolo, Kittle, Mostert ruled out
- SUNY Chancellor issues SUNY-Wide COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- SU, Georgia Tech football to follow strict State Health plan regarding NYS Travel Advisory
- Steve Makes An Easy Game Day Hawaiian Pizza
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.