(WSYR-TV) — Delta Airlines says it will furlough nearly 2,000 pilots in October.
Delta says it has a pilot overstaffing situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic and early retirements won’t solve the issue.
Currently Delta has more than 11,000 active pilots but it only needs around 9,500 pilots for their peak flying period, which is expected to hit in the summer of 2021.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Sweet, energetic Terrier Pit Bull mix hopes to connect with forever family: Petsavers
- Happy Birthday to our Champions for Sunday, September 27th!
- News on the Go for Sunday, September 27th
- WATCH: Feeling more like July than September
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.