Kinney Drugs will be piloting in-store clinics to screen patients for strep throat and the flu in the Syracuse area.
At each pilot location, pharmacists will be able to perform rapid diagnostic tests in a consultation room for patients who are experiencing strep throat and flu-like symptoms.
Each pharmacist has been specially trained to offer the tests, and can obtain and share results with patients in minutes.
The 10 pilot locations include:
- 7998 Route 31, Bridgeport, New York 13030
- 540 Genesee St., Chittenango, New York 13037
- 437 Electronics Parkway, Liverpool, New York 13088
- 7608 Oswego Road, Liverpool, New York 13090
- 7660 Highbridge Road, Manlius, New York 13104
- 5221 W. Taft Road, North Syracuse, New York 13212
- 406 Butternut St., Syracuse, New York 13208
- 2912 James St.,, Syracuse, New York 13206
- 307 Nottingham Road, Syracuse, New York 13210
- 94 Demars Blvd., Tupper Lake, New York 12986
The in-store clinical services are available to patients ages 13 and older with no appointment necessary.
Pharmacists believe they’ll see more visitors at times when doctors’ offices are closed, after regular business hours or on weekends.
When primary care physicians are available, the pharmacist will attempt to contact them for prescription approval when tests turn out positive for strep or flu.
Pharmacists say medicine is more effective when patients are treated within the first 48-hours.
When a primary care physician is unavailable, people can sign up for a “telemedicine” consultation online, for possible prescription approval.
Services are $25 for the diagnostic test and and extra $49 for telehealth consultations that are not covered by insurance. Some providers to offer the option.
For more information, click here.