ONONDAGA COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Another section of the Loop the Lake Trail is complete. A brand new 3,000-foot extension of the trail opened on Thursday and it connects the backside of the trail where the DEC boat launch is expected to be, near the bottom of the Orange Lot.
There’s a scenic pull-off area, six benches and full views of the city skyline.
Phase two of the project will start at the Honeywell site, building a bridge over the CSX railroad tracks, extending to the Roth Steel site, which then connects to the creekwalk.
The goal of the entire project is to get people moving.
“Especially in this day in age, it’s important for people to have quality of life type issues and not just be going to work every day and that type of stuff, to be able to get out there and enjoy the environment,” said Tony Darin, Senior VP, Barton and Loguidice.
The end of phase two, which will complete roughly 80% of the project, is expected to be done by the end of next year.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Curfew enacted for City of Syracuse until further notice
- Highlights from Home 5-30-20
- Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh statement on protests in Syracuse Saturday night
- Syracuse Police: Protestors damage buildings downtown, residents asked to avoid 500 block of South State St.
- National Guard troops sent to Atlanta; city invokes curfew