WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — WWNY TV is reporting that the Attorney General’s office has filed an action in State Supreme Court alleging that relatives of a Watertown fire victim spent the donations raised for her.
According to court papers, paternal relatives of Hailey Bodah raised more than $100,000 through a GoFundMe page and community fundraisers. However, the court action says those relatives failed to turn over more than $70,000 to Bodah, and used it to buy furniture and appliances.
The February fire left a father and four of his children dead. Investigators believe the fire started as a result of cooking.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- CNY Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Answers Questions About Breast Augmentation
- Trick-or-Treat Lunch Ideas
- ACR Health announces access to medication that helps prevent spreading HIV
- Homer Fire Department remembering one of their own
- Cuomo signs law that gives breastfeeding mothers jury duty exemption
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9