AUBURN, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Cayuga County 911 received a call around 12:15 p.m. Wednesday about a man wearing what appeared to be an orange county jail jumpsuit running down Grant Avenue in Auburn.
The Cayuga County Sheriff’s Department says the county jail was put on lockdown and headcount was taken while Auburn Police and Sheriff’s Deputies responded to Grant Ave. to look for the reported person.
A count at the jail found that no one being held there was missing.
Auburn police located the man described by the 911 callers in a vehicle on Grant Avenue. Investigators say the man, identified as Justin M. DeCapio, 29, of Auburn, was indeed wearing a Cayuga County Jail issued jumpsuit
He could not explain to police how he came into possession of the clothing.
He was charged with possession of stolen property and issued an appearance ticket.
Anyone with information can contact Detective Robert Guarnieri at 315-253-3545.
You can also call the Sheriff’s Office at 315-253-1179 and follow the prompts to reach any member of office.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: A breezy, mild summery night is in store tonight
- Happy birthday to our Champions on Saturday, September 26th
- Freshman running back Sean Tucker powers the Orange to a 37-20 victory under new Dome roof
- Dino Babers reacts to SU’s first win of the season: “It was a good team win”
- WATCH NOW: 6 p.m. update with Nicole Sommavilla and Storm Team Meteorologist John DiPasquale
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.