Two Cayuga County breweries are winners in the 3rd annual New York State Craft Beer Competition.
Auburn’s Prison City Pub and Brewery took home the coveted Governor’s Cup, with their Experimental Beer, Wham Whams, placing first out a record 813 entries.
Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing Company in Weedsport took home two Gold medals, one for its Barley Wine 2018 and the other in the New York State Beer category, which requires that 20% of the ingredients used in a beer be sourced from New York State.
Gold medals were awarded to 21 beers from breweries across the state. Medal winners were awarded in 25 categories, such as IPAs and lagers, as well as niche or emerging styles like sours or fruit and spice beers.
The Culinary Institute of America’s classroom lab, The Brewery at the CIA, won Brewery of the Year.
Complete competition results and additional information can be found here.
Gold medal winners:
- Amber and Dark Lagers: Resurgence Brewing Company, Ice Book Bock – Buffalo
- Amber/Red Ale: Dublin Corners Farm Brewery, Better Than Dead – Linwood
- American DIPA: Big Ditch Brewing Company, Cannon Call – Buffalo
- American IPA Variations: Arrowood Farms, True Love in an Arranged Marriage – Accord
- Barrel Aged (Non-Sour): Kings County Brewers Collective, Demons on the Dance Floor – Brooklyn
- Barrel Aged Sour: The Brewers Collective Beer Company, Corvid – Bay Shore
- Belgian Farmhouse: Catskill Brewery, Freak Tractor 100% Brett Beer – Livingston Manor
- Belgian Other: Crafty Ales and Lagers, Elixir – Phelps
- Brown Ale: Brewery at the CIA, Class Project Br-Br-Br-Brown – Hyde Park
- Experimental: Prison City Pub and Brewery, Wham Whams – Auburn
- Fruit and Spice Beer (Sour): Threes Brewing, Eternal Return Apricot – Brooklyn
- Fruit and Spice Beer (Non-sour): Big Alice Brewing Company, Jalapeno Rye – Long Island City
- Hazy IPA: Threes Brewing, Logical Conclusion – Brooklyn
- Imperial Stout and Porter: Three Heads Brewing, The Majestic Imperial Stout 2018 – Rochester
- Light Lager: The Peekskill Brewery, Skills Pils – Peekskill
- Pale Ale: Naked Dove Brewing Company, Naked Dove What is #4 – Canandaigua
- Porter (Non-Imperial): Valcour Brewing Company, David’s Porter – Plattsburgh
- Stout (Non-Imperial): Sager Beer Works, Smugtown Stout – Rochester
- Strong Ale (Non-Belgian): Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing Company, Barleywine 2018 – Weedsport
- Wheat Beer (American, Wit, Hefe): Brewery at the CIA – Mis en Place Wit – Hyde Park
- New York State Beer: Lunkenheimer Craft Brewing Company – Weedsport
The New York State Craft Beer Competition was sponsored by the New York State Brewers Association.