SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The city of Syracuse named Thursday Laura Hand Book Break Day in honor of retirement. The celebration happened Thursday afternoon at STEAM at Dr. King Elementary in Syracuse.
Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon and Syracuse City School Superintendent Jaime Alicea were all there to honor the broadcasting legend. NewsChannel 9’s Christie Casciano was also there, joined by some other local anchors and meteorologists to honor Laura by reading to students.
On Saturday, Laura Hand will anchor her final show after 47 years on Channel 3.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Key, Clark lead Virginia past Boston College, 78-65
- Devoe shakes off injury, leads Georgia Tech past Wake Forest
- No. 11 Louisville routs Syracuse 90-66 to end 2-game slide
- Hot first half helps NC State pull the upset over No. 6 Duke
- WATCH: Lake effect continues overnight in parts of CNY
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9