SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Monday kicks off “Diaper Need Awareness Week,” a chance to help keep local babies dry, clean and healthy.
The week was created in 2012 by the National Diaper Bank Network to raise awareness.
The CNY Diaper Bank, a local nonprofit collecting diapers for families in need, is a driving force behind bringing this special week to Syracuse.
In Syracuse alone, 50% of children under 5 years old live in poverty, and diapers become a cost many families can’t afford.
Activities throughout the week will give people of all ages the opportunity to support the CNY Diaper Bank and to help prevent diaper need in Central New York.
Barre3 and Lululemon Syracuse will host a donation-based workout to benefit the CNY Diaper Bank at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27 at the barre3 studio in the DeWitt Marshall’s Plaza, 3401 Erie Blvd E.
Donations can be made in the form of a check made out to the “CNY Diaper Bank Inc.” or cash. Those interested in participating can register online by visiting https://barre3.com/studio-locations/syracuse.
The CNY Diaper Bank, in partnership with Syracuse University Athletics, will hold a diaper drive before the Sept. 28 football game against Holy Cross. Central New Yorkers can bring diapers to help stuff the “Otto Car,” which will be located on the “the Quad” from 9:00 a.m-12:00 p.m. The diaper bank accepts all clean and usable diapers, and has a major need for sizes 5 and 6.
Diaper Need Awareness Week is the perfect time to:
- Count and wrap diapers for distribution in Central New York. Sign up to volunteer and get notified about future events at cnydiaperbank.org/events.
- Attend a workout at barre3 to raise funds for the CNY Diaper Bank. Sign up at https://barre3.com/studio-locations/syracuse.
- Bring diapers to the S.U. football game Sept. 28. Drop-off will be available on “the Quad” from 9 a.m-12 p.m. Sizes 5 and 6 are especially needed.
- Hold a Diaper Need Awareness Week “Dollars for Diapers” drive on Facebook, at work, school or in the neighborhood. One dollar donated to the organization will keep one baby or toddler clean and dry for an entire day. Learn more about how to hold your own diaper drive using the CNY Diaper Bank’s “Diaper Drive Toolkit.”
- Donate directly: Monetary donations can be made online at www.cnydiaperbank.org/donate, and checks can be made out to “CNY Diaper Bank Inc.” and mailed to: CNY Diaper Bank, P.O. Box 367, Manlius, N.Y. 13104. The CNY Diaper Bank uses donations to purchase diapers in bulk at less than half the cost of retail price.
For more information on how to donate to the organization or for more ways to get involved, please visit www.cnydiaperbank.org.