SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — NewsChannel 9’s Jennifer Sanders and photojournalist Jack Estabrook are the recipients of an Edward R. Murrow Award for their special “Hidden History: The End of the 15th Ward”.
The special program won in the category of News Documentary for Region 11, which includes all stations in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
“Hidden History: The End of the 15th Ward” originally aired in January and February of 2019.
The special program journeys back to the 1950s when the 15th Ward, an area just east and south of Downtown Syracuse, was the heart of the African-American community before urban renewal and the construction of I-81 decimated the small neighborhood.
This documentary explores the emotional stories of the families who were affected by the decimation of the 15th Ward.
Watch the full program by clicking the link below.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Bills defense prepare for first big test of the season with Rams offense
- WATCH: Filtered sunshine Tuesday but warmer
- Military plane conducts touch and go exercises at airport
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee
- Independent consultant to review evidence in Wisconsin police shooting of Jacob Blake
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.