UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — Republican Congressman John Katko says he’s not worried about the pending impeachment of President Trump hurting his re-election next fall. Katko feels the impeachment inquiry is premature.
“Here they’re starting impeachment proceedings at the beginning. It’s akin to basically saying, me, my whole job as a prosecutor, I think you’re a gang banger, so I’m going to indict you on a gang charge now and I’ll go find the proof later. That’s not how it works in our system of justice and that’s not how it works in our country, so I think to put the cart before the horse and what it really shows is the cake is baked here and you’re going to proceed with an impeachment no matter what,” Katko said.
Democratic Congressman Anthony Brindisi has also told NewsChannel 9 previously that he does not yet support impeachment.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Hand sanitizer recall: FDA expands list of ‘toxic’ sanitizers to avoid over methanol risk
- US State Department sending new consul general to Juarez
- Complaint filed after border agents expel 2-day-old US citizen, lawyers say
- Double-homicide suspect in California found dead in Tijuana
- French aerospace firm expanding operations in northern Mexico
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9