CORTLANDVILLE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Cortland County Sheriff’s Office says a phone scam is going around, and it’s primarily targeting people in Cortlandville.
The suspects claim to be a family member or legal counsel for that family member, who is in legal trouble.
The scammer asks you to send money or gift cards to a specific address.
The sheriff’s office reminds people to not send money to an address you do not recognize, and if you don’t know the number from the person who is calling, hang up.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- CBA boys knock off Tully for their 5th straight win
- F-M girls win SCAC showdown over Baldwinsville
- Payton Shumpert commits to Stony Brook
- Behind-the-scenes of weekend enforcement of COVID-19 guidelines at bars
- NewsChannel 9 goes ‘On The Trail’ with congressional candidate Dana Balter
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9