(WSYR-TV) — Federal and state officials have yet to find a compromise to allow New Yorkers back into federal Trusted Traveler programs.
Even as a Homeland Security official says Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s latest offer looks “promising.”
Cuomo said he would give up the DMV records, but no Social Security numbers as they can be used to find undocumented immigrants.
New York State argues that the fed’s move is meant to punish the state for enacting a law that lets illegal immigrants get driver’s licenses.
The state also believes it is punishment for barring federal immigration agents from state motor vehicle records.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Clouds moves in, the rain stays away for now
- Multiple agencies searching for missing hiker in Highland Forest
- NYS Department of Labor releases PSA regarding unemployment benefits
- Social Security recipients will not need to file tax returns for stimulus checks
- Trump: federal PPE stockpile nearly depleted
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9