(WSYR-TV) — Federal and state officials have yet to find a compromise to allow New Yorkers back into federal Trusted Traveler programs.
Even as a Homeland Security official says Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s latest offer looks “promising.”
Cuomo said he would give up the DMV records, but no Social Security numbers as they can be used to find undocumented immigrants.
New York State argues that the fed’s move is meant to punish the state for enacting a law that lets illegal immigrants get driver’s licenses.
The state also believes it is punishment for barring federal immigration agents from state motor vehicle records.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Passenger killed, driver hospitalized after vehicle crashes into monument at Niagara Square in Buffalo
- CDC sets meeting on allocation of COVID-19 vaccine
- Nurse who came out of retirement to train others dies from COVID-19
- Local Christmas tree farms offer new additions to keep customers and traditions safe this holiday season
- Bills LB A.J. Klein says it’s ‘imperative’ for Bills defense to play their best football down the stretch
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9