ROME, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A man from Rome has died after falling through the ice on the Erie Canal.
New York State Police say 67-year-old Robert Barnes, from Rome, was ice fishing on the Erie Canal Tuesday, where the canal runs along Muck Road, when he fell through the ice and couldn’t get out of the water.
Troopers say someone passing by tried to save him, but couldn’t.
The Rome Fire Department was able to get Barnes out of the water to get him to the hospital, where he later died.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Syracuse Police crackdown on illegal dirt bikes, ATVs
- WATCH: Another hot, humid day Wednesday
- Sterling Renaissance Festival plans on opening this year, needs approval from state and local authorities
- 5 people hurt after crash in Elbridge
- La Linea targets police officers following arrest of top cartel lieutenant
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9