OSWEGO COUNTY,N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Oswego County Health Department says five more mosquito pools have tested positive for Eastern equine encephalitis, or EEE.
The samples were collected between September 2nd and 9th in the Big Bay Swamp in the towns of Hastings, West Monroe, and Constantia. This area was sprayed on August 20th and September 16th.
“While aerial spraying is effective in reducing the mosquito population, it does not eliminate all mosquitoes,” said Oswego County Public Health Director Jiancheng Huang.
“Preventing mosquito bites is the best way to protect against mosquito-borne diseases,” Huang said. “Although the temperatures are starting to go down, it is very important for people to continue to follow their personal protection practices and to reduce mosquito populations around their homes until the first heavy frost comes.”
More from NewsChannel 9:
- ABC’s ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Crowns A New Winner
- Food Bank of CNY working to meet growing demand for food assistance
- Pennsylvania halts alcohol sales in bars, restaurants night before Thanksgiving
- Onondaga County Executive confirms Destiny USA is in an Orange Zone
- Virus outbreak delays production at world’s top rubber glove maker
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9