WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A member of the Army’s Fort Drum-based 10th Mountain Division died earlier this week in a non-combat related incident at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.
Specialist Branden Kimball, 21, died on February 12th.
Governor Andrew Cuomo ordered flags on state government buildings to fly at half staff on Friday to honor Kimball.
Governor Cuomo said “We are devastated by his loss and join his fellow soldiers, his family, and his friends in honoring his service to our nation. His death is a reminder of the sacrifices members of the military make to protect the freedoms and the values that this state and this nation were founded upon.”
The Army says SPC Kimball was an aircraft structural repairer.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Xerox working to produce up to 1M ventilators
- Tesla starting to design ventilators using car parts
- Delta donating over 200K pounds of food to hospitals, food banks
- USNS Comfort will start taking patients with COVID-19
- Wishes on hold for Make-A-Wish Central New York
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9