CICERO, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A scary moment in Cicero for those at the Sunoco gas station on East Taft Road Wednesday afternoon, as the canopy over the gas pump collapsed.
The owner of the gas station has just come by to fill out some routine paperwork and get the mail. He went out to his car, but realized he forgot the mail and went back inside. That’s when the canopy came down. His general manager told NewsChannel 9 he believes it was a little luck of the Irish that helped save his boss.
Cicero Police tell us nobody was hurt, but a car and truck were damaged from the collapse. There was no gas leak, either.
The general manager of the Sunoco believes the snow and ice buildup on top of the canopy is what caused it to collapse. He says it is a good reminder for homeowners to make sure they clean off their roof when the snow starts to build up.
Below is a raw interview with Tim Everingham, general manager of the Sunoco, as well as raw video of the scene.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- American flag torn, burned during protest at Ithaca Police Department
- 1 killed in multi-vehicle crash in Jefferson Co.
- WATCH: Seasonably cool with lake effect showers to start October
- Syracuse University announces plans for permanent, inside testing center at the Carrier Dome
- Wells College receives $935K grant from U.S. Dept. of Education
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9