SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — From now through Dec. 18, the Central New York Family Bicycle Giveaway Foundation will be collecting bicycles in any condition.
Bikes will be repaired and given away to families in need on Dec. 19.
The bikes are being collected every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the fairgrounds.
The foundation, and its founder, Jan Maloff, will be working with the Syracuse Police Department and the Syracuse Teachers Association to identify needy families.
The organization hopes to collect 2,000 bikes this year. It says the COVID-19 pandemic and the increased demand for bicycles has caused the price of bike parts to triple.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Plenty of clouds and not as warm to end the week
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments
- Nurses continue to work on the frontlines this Thanksgiving
- Rescue Mission in Syracuse prepares 2,000 Thanksgiving meals for the community
- Gov. Cuomo says state is working on pandemic plan for winter
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9