NEW YORK STATE (WSYR-TV) — Governor Andrew Cuomo has vetoed a bill that would allow electric scooters and bikes statewide.
This bill was overwhelmingly passed by lawmakers, but Cuomo said the bill didn’t have enough safety measures. Cuomo said his own bill on the bikes and scooters included more adequate safety measures, such as a helmet requirement on e-scooters.
E-scooter manufacturer Lime and municipal supporters have argued the bill fits into New York’s push to address climate change.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Cornell University, Cayuga Health System team up to offer COVID-19 testing for Ithaca City School District
- WATCH: Windy with breaks of sun and a few passing showers this afternoon
- Make Your Voice Count in the 2020 Census
- While statewide coronavirus positive cases are slightly down, Cuomo reminds New Yorkers to wear a mask
- Back Open: How Blink Fitness Has Adapted For COVID-19
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9