ITHACA, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Like many businesses, higher education is feeling the budget impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ithaca College is furloughing nearly 200 employees, for now, according to the school’s athletic director.
I would not be surprised if there would be additional furloughs from our department. I know athletics won’t be immune from what the college has to do college-wide.Susan Bassett — Associate VP and Athletics Director at Ithaca College
Bassett said all capital projects, even donor-funded ones like the soccer field renovation, are on hold.
The major college funded renovation of the school’s football facility, Butterfield Stadium, is also on hold.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- First Student Syracuse bus garage grand opening on Wednesday
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- WATCH: Milder tonight, more summer-likely by week’s end
- Runway work complete at Hancock International Airport
- Madison County Sheriff’s asking residents to be on the lookout for ‘porch pirates’
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.