Ithaca firefighters rushed from room to room inside a resort hotel Saturday night, searching for guests as the halls filled with smoke.
They could see embers blowing from a chimney at La Tourelle Hotel in the city’s South Hill section on Danby Road.
Crews were alerted about the fire just after 6 p.m., and say it was out within the hour and contained to the chimney.
After some work to ventilate the building, people were allowed back into the hotel by 7:30 p.m.
No one was hurt, but firefighters say the case should serve as a warning to everyone that chimneys need to be serviced and cleaned regularly.