BINGHAMTON, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — State Police have identified the man killed after an explosion and fire inside a fuel tank in the Southern Tier.
Troopers tell NewsChannel 9 the victim has been identified as Arthur Hines, 57, of Syracuse.
State Police say it happened at the Speedway service station on Front Street, just off Interstate 81 in Binghamton just after 1:30 p.m. Friday.
State Police say Hines was cleaning the inside of the tank when it exploded. He was working for the Syracuse affiliate of Environmental Product and Services of Vermont.
No other injuries have been reported. State Police say the service station was being remodeled at the time.
These photos show just how close the fuel tank is to the road.
Photos are courtesy of Bob Joseph, WNBF
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Big second period surges the Comets past the Crunch
- Jamal Custis among three former Orange selected in XFL Draft
- Union workers urge Senate to pass pension protections
- Lawmakers scrutinize VA facilities after recent deaths
- WATCH: Soaking rain tapers to scattered showers towards and after midnight
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9