BINGHAMTON, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — State Police have identified the man killed after an explosion and fire inside a fuel tank in the Southern Tier.
Troopers tell NewsChannel 9 the victim has been identified as Arthur Hines, 57, of Syracuse.
State Police say it happened at the Speedway service station on Front Street, just off Interstate 81 in Binghamton just after 1:30 p.m. Friday.
State Police say Hines was cleaning the inside of the tank when it exploded. He was working for the Syracuse affiliate of Environmental Product and Services of Vermont.
No other injuries have been reported. State Police say the service station was being remodeled at the time.
These photos show just how close the fuel tank is to the road.
Photos are courtesy of Bob Joseph, WNBF
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Storm Team Academy: How hurricanes form
- Rochester radio hosts of ‘Kimberly and Beck’ fired after racially charged comments
- Money in Your Pocket Minute: 6/3/2020
- News on the Go: Wednesday 6/3/2020
- Tech Bytes: Wednesday 6/3/2020
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9