SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — M&T Bank is warning people of a scam involving text messages claiming to be the bank.
On its website, M&T says:
“We recently learned of a scam involving text messages advising that your M&T accounts or cards have been restricted. Sensitive personal and account information is requested. Please do not respond to these malicious requests and never provide your information to unsolicited texts, emails, or calls. “
The text look like the one in the picture below:
If you receive one of these texts, M&T asks you do the following:
- Never provide sensitive personal information to an unsolicited email, text or call
- M&T Bank will NOT send texts or emails requesting login credentials or card numbers
- If you receive a suspicious email appearing to be from M&T, forward it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If in doubt of the legitimacy of an email, text, or call, contact that company directly
- Be suspicious of links or attachments within electronic communications – especially from those you don’t recognize
Click here to Learn More About Common Scams and Fraud
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Who is Cassidy Hutchinson, the former Meadows aide testifying on Jan. 6?
- ‘I can’t believe it’: Viral Burger King worker receives more than $200K from GoFundMe
- Subway employee fatally shot over ‘too much mayo’ on sandwich, police say
- Resurrection – A Journey Tribute to perform at New York State Fair
- Your Stories Q&A: When will Tully’s new location open in Manlius?
For more local news, follow Josh Martin on Twitter @JoshMartinNC9