NEW YORK STATE (WSYR-TV) — Adoptees in New York can soon get a certified birth certificate under a new law passed by the state legislature.
Governor Andrew Cuomo signing it into law this week. It will take effect on January 15th.
Under the current law, adoptees must go before a judge to request access to their birth certificate and it’s not always granted.
New York’s new law allows adult adoptees, their descendants or legal representative to get a certified copy of their original certificate.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Coach O says LSU NEEDS this Spring Game
- Cortland runs away with 19-5 win vs. Brockport
- WATCH: Enjoy the warm Wednesday as CNY’s weather to change for the end of the week
- Shooting on Hawley Ave in Syracuse injures 15-year-old
- Oswego Health Department to hold COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Fulton on April 17th
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9