ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10/WROC) — State Sen. Michael Gianiris, the Democratic Deputy Senate Majority Leader who represents part of Queens, introduced a bill postponing rent payments for 90 days.
Senate Bill S8125 would suspend rent for certain tenants as a response to COVID-19.
The bill is currently in the Senate Judiciary Committee, about twenty additional state senators have co-sponsored the bill—including Capital Region representatives —and there is also a version of the bill in the Assembly.
Last week, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo listed measures enacted for financial relief amid the pandemic, including:
- 90-day mortgage relief
- Waive mortgage payments based on financial hardship
- No negative reporting to credit bureaus
- Grace period for loan modifications
- No late payment fees or online payment fees
- Postponing or suspending foreclosures
- Waive fees for overdrafts, ATMs, and credit cards
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: After a hot end to the week, we cool down for the weekend
- Lime Bike leaves Ithaca, citing sustainability
- Border ranchers receive 2nd notice from feds threatening to revoke land rights
- Census 2020 ramps up with delivery of 5.1 million questionnaires to rural homes
- Restaurants prepare to open outdoor seating for customers
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.