ONEIDA COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — New York State Police have arrested a former local high school athlete in connection with the murder of an Oneida Castle man.
State Police arrested Romero Collier, 23, of Syracuse, for murder in the second degree.
Collier is accused of robbing the victim, 22-year-old Tyler McBain, with Travon D. Golden, who had previously been arrested in connection with the homicide.
The victim, McBain, was shot in the torso during the robbery, which caused his death.
According to state police, Collier and Golden traveled nearly 100 miles on the Thruway before crashing an SUV near the Waterloo Premium Outlets.
Golden was arrested not long after the crash, but Collier had been on the run for more than a week.
With the help of witnesses and neighbors in other communities, multiple police agencies were able to track him down on Thursday.
Collier was also a former NewsChannel 9 Athlete of the Week in 2015 and played basketball and football at Henninger High School.
Collier was taken to the Oneida County Jail for arraignment.
State police are still investigating the murder of Tyler McBain and want anyone with information to call them at 315-366-6000. Calls can remain anonymous.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Fall colors remain near peak in Central New York heading into the weekend
- Driver charged with DWI after going wrong way on I-690, crashing in Van Buren
- Russia and Iran made ‘desperate attempts’ to interfere with election, US officials say
- Balter says attack ads are ‘sexist and racist,’ Katko campaign calls complaints ‘offensive’
- Republicans say Democrats planning to pack the Supreme Court
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.